Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Pictures of HHO Torches v.1 and v.2


HHO Torch Electrolysis Cell v.1.0 (yes, it is a Chinese fish powder container. So what. Sue me. I like my stuff free. Not one of my projects (except a transistor for the flyback driver) has cost me a single cent so far.)

Ugh. Look at the corrosion on these electrodes.

Another shot of the fake aluminum electrodes (they were aluminum plated copper (?what's the use of that?))

Behold! It is v.2.0!
With flashback arrestor (little vial thingy). It prevents the cell itself from exploding in the event that the hydrogen flame burns back through the tube into the system.

A closer shot of the flashback arrestor. The gas comes through the white wire insulation (no wires in it) and bubbles through water (to remove particles). The water also acts as a flashback arrestor in the event of an explosion. The water stops the explosion from reaching the cell via tube.

More corroded electrodes. But these are actually real aluminum.

I will soon use some vinegar as an electrolyte, and not baking soda as baking soda creates this disgusting carbonate precipitate (Al(CO3)3?) that turns the water blue and creates this white stuff that settles as well as black specks. Interesting, but not wanted. And the Snapple cap is well sealed, but still is leaking. So I'm scratching the Snapple design in favor of something with a little more "screw" to the cap. Updates soon.

Monday, July 28, 2008

v.2.3 Scratched

HHO Torch version 2.3 has been scratched due to a mysterious "leak" that cannot be identified. Version 3 is currently in the design phase. Photos of the failed version 2 family will be posted.

P.S.: Version 2.3 actually worked for a bit....until I switched electrodes from carbon rods to aluminum coils. I'm never using aluminum again. It decomposes into this black flaky stuff that falls to the bottom of the solution. Rate of production for carbon rods were slow, which was why I switched.

Friday, July 25, 2008


Hi! My name is Phil Chang, from New Jersey.

I like to experiment with anything moderately challenging or dangerous. Here are some of my projects so far (that I won't give a full description of):

1. Flyback Transformer
a. Single-Transistor Driven
b. CFL-driven
2. Numerous takeaparts (too many to mention)
3. Volume-Reduction of Flat-Screen LCD for use with laptop
4. Salvaging of Hard Drives and RAM from old computers for use (so far a live 80 GB, 20 GB, 18 GB hard drives salvaged; about 3-5 others already taken apart)
5. Butane-fueled gun
6. Electrolytic Cell v.1.0. for HHO torch.
7. Blowing up LED's (yes, they explode) with high voltage
8. Vaporizing strips of metal using photoflash capacitors (and getting shocked thrice)
9. Setting random things on fire and seeing what happens.
10. Match rockets.

And my current project....the HHO torch. It uses electrolysis of water to produce H2 gas and O2 gas (called HHO gas). It uses baking soda as an electrolytes. It then combines the gases at the torch tip, all in real time. Nearing completion of v.2.3. Version 1 was a glass container with a plastic snap-on lid with aluminum wire electrodes and wire insulation tubing. (Yes, I like things free.) Version 2.0 was developed to address the problem of gas leakage through the snap-on lid.

Version 2.0 was a Snapple bottle with holes in the cap for wire insulation tubing and electrodes. Version 2.0 was a success, creating good amounts of gas at reasonable pressures, but developed an unidentified leak (still not identified!). Version 2.1 was simply a cap replacement. That soon failed due to an oversized hole for the insulation tubing. Same with version 2.2. As of now, the cap for Version 2.3 has been fitted and the glue to seal the cap is drying. Pictures soon.